Recently I have really been getting back into the groove of crocheting and have seen a ton of crochet alongs (CAL). Someone creates a pattern and then releases it in segments for everyone to crochet together. I absolutely fell in love with this idea because I don’t live near anyone that crochets. In general, I crochet by myself and even when I share my projects with others, I can’t really share the details of how I created it or what was difficult, because they have no idea what I am talking about. So, I’ve decided its time I jump on this bandwagon of CALers and create my own pattern to share! Enter the Wanderlust Crochet Along!
Wanderlust… such a wonderful word! I love the meaning and I love that it makes my heart happy. Since I am in the amazing PNW and our family loves the outdoors and all it offers, I decided to base my Wanderlust CAL off of my surroundings. The great thing about the Wanderlust CAL is that you have plenty of opportunity to personalize it or make it your own. You can decide to do each release and have a large blanket to snuggle under or you can just do some of the releases and make a lap blanket, baby blanket, or pillows! You can also personalize each release with whatever colors suit your style… really, the possibilities are endless with this CAL.
Now let’s get down to the details!
What you will need
- Yarn clips – I highly recommend using these
- Yarning Needle
- Crochet Hook: G or H
- Yarn – Medium weight (size 4) yarn
- I am using Red Heart Super Saver, but feel free to use whatever yarn brand you prefer, so long as the yarn weight is the same. Feel free to mix types of yarn as well… the possibilities are endless. I have a heard a lot of good things about I Love This Yarn at Hobby Lobby, so you may want to consider this brand as well.
- Bobble – If you are not familiar with this stitch, please check out Ashleigh at Sewrella. She has a great tutorial on it.
- C2C – Sarah at Repeat Crafter Me is the queen of C2C graphgans! Here is a detailed tutorial on the C2C technique.
- Mini C2C – Angela at Chaos & Chop Suey has a video that demonstrates the mini C2C stitch.
Need to Know How to Color Change
- Bobble Stich – Sarah at Repeat Crafter Me has an awesome tutorial (with video) on color change for the bobble stitch. Definitely worth reviewing before starting the Wanderlust CAL.
- C2C & Mini C2C – Jess at Make and Do Crew has a detailed post on how to color change in C2C, which is definitely worth checking out if you are not familiar with it.
I will release on Friday mornings in hopes of giving you the weekend to supply shop and get a head start on that week’s release. I will also provide the colors I have selected for that week’s release, but feel free to use your own for your square.
Size will vary depending on the hook size you select and the type of stitch you decide to use. I will be using the bobble stitch and size H hook. As we get started we can each share how large our squares are based on the hook size and type of stitch we each chose to use.
Bonus & Alternate Releases
Some weeks I will provide bonus squares and other weeks I will provide alternate squares. There will also be a header and footer release. Feel free to do them all or only do the ones you like. This is the beauty of this Wanderlust CAL, you can make it your own.
I will have a private Facebook group for everyone that would like to participate in the Wanderlust CAL. My hope is that the Facebook group will allow us to share our creativity with yarn choices as well as with the type of stitch we decide to use. It will also act as an avenue to ask questions if we run into issues.
Official Start Date
The first release will be on Friday, September 29th.
Wanderlust CAL Schedule
I will release each pattern on Fridays. My goal for the Wanderlust CAL is to have the last release be on Friday, December 8th. This way if you would like to give it as a gift you have time to finish the last square, block, and sew it together, with just enough time to wrap and put under the Christmas tree.
Tips and Tricks
WEAVE IN ENDS AS YOU GO ALONG!!!! I promise it will make your life way easier once you’ve completed the Wanderlust CAL!
Official Hashtag for sharing on Instagram
#wanderlustcal and I would love for you to share your progress along the way as well as your finished piece(s).
Blog Sign Up
I would recommend subscribing to my blog so you will not miss a release. Don’t forget the double opt in for signing up for the blog. When you initially sign up, you will receive an email and you’ll need to click the link to verify you do want to sign up for my blog. Once you do that, you will receive my emails. However, if you don’t see it in your inbox, be sure to check your junk mail.
I will be doing the Wanderlust CAL along with you, which means I have not completed it ahead of you. Please keep checking back… I will start posting portions of the Wanderlust CAL so you will know what it looks like before starting. I am so excited! Please share and encourage anyone you know that enjoys crocheting to join us. Friday, September 29th is go time!