It’s a sad, sad, day my friends. The binky must go. My little girl chipped about a quarter of her front tooth while playing with one of her friends. I made an appointment with a pediatric dentist to have her tooth evaluated and see if any further action was needed. Luckily, it appears no major damage to the tooth occurred. The dentist did ask if she still used a pacifier and I explained that she only uses one at nap time and bed time. He then suggested that we discontinue the pacifier to prevent an overbite. I may have cried a little bit on the inside when I heard those words because it’s just one more thing to remind me that my little girl is growing up. I swear, I have no idea where the time goes.
I have decided to take this week and just start talking with her about getting rid of her binkies because she is such a big girl and big girls don’t need them. So far she has been pretty receptive to the conversations. Then next weekend we are going to select one of the suggestions from below…
Ways to Say Goodbye to the Binky
- Take away the binky cold turkey
- Have a big girl/boy party – tie the binky to some helium balloons and the child lets them go and the balloons carry the binky away
- Build-a-Bear Workshop – have the child do the build-a-bear workshop and put their binky inside the bear
- Have the child gift their binky to a newborn baby of a family member or friend because they are a big kid now and don’t need a binky anymore
- The child gets a toy in exchange for their binky
I will follow up next week with the option I chose and how it went. Fingers crossed, I’m hoping it goes well!
Binky fairy can bring some gifts in exchange for the Binky.
You can give it to a small animal (calves or puppies you will not see lol)
Introduce a security item (stuffed animal etc) to replace the binkies security value
I love the fairy idea! Thanks for stopping by!
Good luck! Our older daughter had one until she was around 2. :/ It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. Out of sight, out of mind most of the time. 🙂
Thank you for stopping by. I am hoping that is the case for us… fingers crossed!